Nature’s healing power. This is a discussion with Men’s Coach Soma Miller, about nature’s power to heal illnesses like depression, and anxiety. We talk about violence in cities. We discuss my theory that something a simple as working out or resting in nature could hold a key to peace in our inner cities. Soma talks about Permaculture and integrating with nature and why trying to dominate and control nature is slowly killing us.
WHAT HAS EMERGED FROM THIS OFTENTIMES DISMANTLING WORK, IS A GROUND OF HUMILITY. IT’S A DEPTH OF SELF-LOVE AND A MASSIVE WELL OF COMPASSION THAT I EXTEND TO ALL THE MEN I WORK WITH.
This Show Is About…
The healing power of nature is something that I’ve experienced first hand. I’m not alone in this sentiment. Many people, throughout history, have pointed out nature’s healing power as valued and vital, to their mindset and well being. Henry David Thoreau said, “I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright.”
On a slightly more political note Walt Whitman said, “Without enough wilderness America will change. Democracy, with its myriad personalities and increasing sophistication, must be fibred and vitalized by regular contact with outdoor growths – animals, trees, sun, warmth and free skies – or it will dwindle and pale.” In 2015 a Stanford University study said that 70% of humanity will live in cities by the year 2050. I believe that the increase in depression and anxiety in Western society is caused by a disconnection with the natural world.
I sought out men’s work coach, permaculture designer, and facilitator Soma Miller to discuss these topics on the podcast. Soma’s wisdom and integrity – especially regarding the topic of integration and living within the patterns of the natural world, have been valuable to me throughout the years. I hope that you enjoy this episode.
What you’ll hear on this podcast
- Why it’s particularly important for men to reconnect with nature.
- Doing retreats in nature as a group reveal a lot about us.
- A solo camping trip or even a hike alone are beneficial and help to ward off depression.
- Our theory that inner city urban violence is a direct result of a disconnection with ourselves and the natural world.
- Soma’s upcoming in-person and virtual workshops and men’s groups.
Heather Gray the mindset “shrink” with tips on creating success at any stage in life. Improve performance, achieve your goals at any stage in life.
What this episode is about
Our topic in this episode – Creating success at any stage in life. We’re going to be speaking with Heather Gray. This podcast came about based on Heather’s awesome, “I didn’t come this far, to only come this far” birthday post on Facebook. Heather is going to give us some tips and ideas to change, what you can do to make forward progress in your 40’s and beyond. We talk about making meaningful changes to your life, keeping what you like – or improve upon, and how she is sticking to her own plan for living. This is a powerful no bullshit conversation about what it takes to be successful in all areas of your life. Heather walks her talk, so take notes.
Heather Gray Bio
Heather Gray is a performance and mindset coach for business owners and leaders at Choose to Have It All. Her clients move past sharing pithy, motivational quotes as a mindset strategy and learn instead how to put those concepts into action in their own lives. Join her community group on FB to continue the conversation.
What you’ll learn
- How you can set a powerful intention
- Is it better to set an intention or have goals with deadlines or both?
- How you show up in relationships when you’ve make powerful changes in your life.
- How boundaries change and improve when you set out on a journey to succeed in life.
- Do your identity, goals, and point of view shift when you’re in your 40’s?
- What is consistent intention and how to apply it in life?
- “Talk the talk and walk the walk.” Heather and I discuss what that really means. and the prices that we’ve paid to make success happen.
- How can a person who feels that others are responsible for their own hardships, take responsibility for themselves?
Choose to Have It All
Using Emotions to Better Communicate with Your Partner. Transformational coach Angus Ross gives us the 411 on how to improve communication with your partner during times of emotional turmoil.
What this episode is about
Communication during emotional times is difficult for everyone. For men, in particular, emotional conversations often feel like nightmares to be avoided. We look for ways to either avoid or control the conversation. Logic and reason don’t work during these moments. If we’re smart, we never utter the dreaded words, “calm down”. That seems to have the opposite effect. We scratch our heads wondering why our efforts to calm her has the opposite effect. Any solutions that we present are discarded with contempt. This leaves us feeling unappreciated and resentful. Then we end up avoiding her, and the difficult conversation. At times, sex goes out the window, along with the lack of communication. But what if it didn’t have to be like this? What if you had a plan for what to do during these times?
Transformational coach Angus Ross coaches individuals and facilitates workshops with his wife Rohini Ross. He gives you some solid tips on what to do when emotionally difficult arguments happen. It’s easier than you think. Some of the tips are a little counter-intuitive, but with practice, you’ll be able to navigate these conversations. You’ll come to understand her better, and improve your relationships, making your communications clearer, and your connections stronger.
Angus Ross Bio
After a long career as a fashion and advertising photographer, Angus has taken to transformational coaching like a duck to water. Mentored by the world famous Pransky & Associates, he has developed an insatiable appetite for helping people tap in to their true potential. From the defense industry to women’s retail. from the federal prison system to the world of sport, from couples and individuals, to large groups, Angus connects with his clients in a very honest and open way and then talks about the role of thought and how it either frees or limits us. It sounds simple enough, but this is what helps Angus’ clients tune into their essential nature and experience a much higher degree of success and well-being in their lives.
What You’ll Learn
- A useful description of the 3 Principles, and how to use them in your day to day life.
- Why controlling or avoiding difficult conversations rarely work.
- How to become a model for better communications when the conversation goes “pear shaped”.
- Why telling her to “calm down” usually has the opposite effect.
- When to approach difficult topics of conversation.
- How not to take nasty comments during arguments personally.
- How to rebuild trust when problems arise in the relationship.
What This Episode is About
Lauren Alten spent decades bouncing from being overweight to obese, trying every diet under the sun. One night, she lay in bed with a racing pulse, gasping for air. She prayed the prayer of the desperate and made a vow that if she was shown the way back to health she would not only follow it, but she would light the way for others to follow. This is her story.
She has now found lasting solutions, lost over 60 pounds, achieved her ideal sized body, and maintains it long term. It is her mission to empower women to go from lives of quiet desperation, low energy and expanding waistlines to living their lives Slim Whole and Free.
What You’ll Learn
- Why counting calories or food points doesn’t work.
- The brain chemistry behind sugar and flour addiction.
- Why intuitive eating doesn’t work for a large portion of the population.
- Improving your gut health and restoring your hormone balance.
- Why too much exercise, when you are in weight loss mode, is counter-productive.
- The willpower myth (you really do have plenty of willpower, you just need to understand how to harness it!).
- Slow metabolism? Low thyroid function? Aging body? Bad genes? You CAN still lose weight! Lauren did it with all those factors in place.
- Finding peace and freedom in your ideal sized body.
Quick tips for lasting weight loss