This episode, Amber Gourley, the “disobedient dietitian”, is talking about Inflammation and Pain Management and how those two things relate to something called functional nutrition, and food sensitivity.
What it’s about:
There’s a lot of conflicting information about what you should eat on the internet. I’m doing an extended series about food facts and fiction. this is the first episode. I sought out registered dietitian Amber Gourley, to talk about inflammation and food. Here’s why food can effect you, give you chronic pain in your joints and other types of inflammation. We discuss the similarities between her ideas and the ancient science of Ayurveda Plus we talk about healthy bacteria and your body’s ability to heal itself over time.
From the Disobedient Dietitian:
“Everyone has an opinion about how to be ‘healthy’. There are the people who tell you not to eat carbs, while others tell you not to eat fat, and others tell you not to eat sugar. (what the hell are you supposed to eat, then?) Then there are the people who tell you to go vegetarian. And the people who tell you to go Paleo. And the people who tell you to go Paleo vegetarian. And THEN there are the people who tell you to cut your calorie intake, or exercise more, or take this medication and everything will be better. (There are even people who tell you that bacon is bad.)”
What you learn
- What is functional nutrition and how is Amber different from a traditional dietitian
- What is inflammation and how does it relate to Chronic illness and pain?
- Can you manage pain through nutrition alone?
- Fermented foods and why you should be eating them.
- Gut microbes and “good” bacteria
- What is food sensitivity testing & LEAP , who is it for and does it really help?