What This Episode is About
Lauren Alten spent decades bouncing from being overweight to obese, trying every diet under the sun. One night, she lay in bed with a racing pulse, gasping for air. She prayed the prayer of the desperate and made a vow that if she was shown the way back to health she would not only follow it, but she would light the way for others to follow. This is her story.
She has now found lasting solutions, lost over 60 pounds, achieved her ideal sized body, and maintains it long term. It is her mission to empower women to go from lives of quiet desperation, low energy and expanding waistlines to living their lives Slim Whole and Free.
What You’ll Learn
- Why counting calories or food points doesn’t work.
- The brain chemistry behind sugar and flour addiction.
- Why intuitive eating doesn’t work for a large portion of the population.
- Improving your gut health and restoring your hormone balance.
- Why too much exercise, when you are in weight loss mode, is counter-productive.
- The willpower myth (you really do have plenty of willpower, you just need to understand how to harness it!).
- Slow metabolism? Low thyroid function? Aging body? Bad genes? You CAN still lose weight! Lauren did it with all those factors in place.
- Finding peace and freedom in your ideal sized body.
What This Episode is about
This is episode #10. Is Ayurveda an ancient practice for modern living? This 5000 year old health practice is the traditional Indian system of medicine, promoting balance in bodily health. It uses diet, herbal remedies, breathing techniques, and practical advice for living. This system is over 5000 years old. Modern Ayurveda has brought this ancient medical system to life. It balances traditional wisdom with evidence based practices.
I recently attended a workshop on Ayurveda medicine and lifestyle at the La Maida Institute. This institute is housed in a beautiful old mansion that’s been converted into a center for healing the mind and body. La Maida Institute’s mission is to offer a new way of approaching healthcare; where the human experience, communal support, and spiritual development are central to the healing process. La Maida commits to delivering participatory and integrative programs that empower transformation and restore wholeness. It’s also less than a mile from my place, as a result – Hurrah for me!
The instructor Anjali Deva gave me useful information that I immediately put into practice – to my benefit. I wanted to share all of this with you, and Anjali was kind enough to answer my questions on this episode of the show.
About Anjali Deva
Anjali Deva is a NAMA-certified Ayurvedic practitioner and Yoga teacher in Los Angeles. She is fortunate to have been introduced to Ayurveda and Yoga at a young age by her father, Arun Deva. Her familial lineage is rich with the desire to preserve and maintain this healing art. To further her pratice, Anjali went on to train with Kerala Ayurveda Academy, Loyola Marymount’s Yoga and the Healing Sciences Program. with teachers both in the United States and in India. Her journey began in the kitchen with a desire to understand how the food we eat influences our bodies and minds. This passion has now grown to include helping people find their inner wisdom, clarity and health through the wisdom of Ayurveda. Through self-care practices she hopes to help people find their inner harmony and resilience.
What You’ll Learn
- What is Ayurveda?
- Why a modern person should apply this ancient practice to their lives.
- How to deal with health and mindset challenges, when you have little control over the circumstances.
- Anjali suggests, “Making food choices based on your internal awareness, instead of external information.” What does this actually mean to a person with little knowledge of Ayurveda? Anjali gives several examples.
What This Episode Is About
This is episode #9 of Happy and Healthy Over 40, the show where we discuss, health, sex mindset, lifestyle, and relationships as we enter our 40’s and beyond. In this episode of the show, we ask, does your Paleo based meal plan help you meet your healthy goals? Some of you are new to Paleo or just too busy or can’t quite figure it all out. Busy health conscious people don’t have to rely on their same old boring dishes or tear their hair out finding new ones. You can try new foods and learn new tricks to add to your eating plan. It’s great to not struggle to figure out all of the metrics on calories, and macros when someone has already done it for you.
About Kirsty Briscoe
What You’ll Learn
- What is Paleo and why is it a good choice for a modern life?
- How people screw up Paleo, Vegan, or any other lifestyle and eating plan?
- What’s a curated meal plan and why that might be the smartest idea for you?
- Whole 30 Change Your Life – Change Habits. What that’s all about and how can people get a hold of you Kirsty and her delicious pancakes!
Episode# 8: The Three Principals and Universal Truth
What This Podcast is About
This podcast, The Three Principals and Universal Truth, is a basic explanation that helps us to see how our reality works. It helps us get to the source of knowledge and wisdom. Every now and again, everyone has a great idea or insight that seems to have appeared out of thin air. Imagine these insights coming to you on a regular basis. Since I’ve been studying The Three Principals, stress and anxiety are now greatly diminished. Before, emotions were a problem that needed to be controlled. Ironically, they often times controlled me. Difficult emotions are no longer things that I try to avoid. They are things that I experience. When these emotions subside, I acknowledge them, and move onward. My goal is to address any issues that these emotions bring up in me. As a result, my mind is free to explore, engage, and create in the moment. In addition, I’m more easily able to come up with creative ideas for my work too. The benefits are unlimited. Take a listen.
About Rohini Ross
What You Will Learn
- Why all reality begins in the mind?
- What are the 3 principal?
- The differences between Universal Mind, Consciousness and Thought.
- What is the difference between my thoughts and universal thoughts?
- Change negative thinking. Turn a corner on thoughts that have been present for a lifetime.
- How does this help me in my daily life?
- What is possible and not possible with The Three Principals?
- Why doesn’t The Three Principals have practices, and exercises, like meditation, and visualization?
What this podcast is about:
Episode 7 – Today we talk about overcoming chronic illness. Imagine that you’ve managed to achieve many of your life and career goals all before the age of 40. Your healthy and fit due to your disciplined exercise and diet routines. You’ve got your own business in a field that you find rewarding. Even your community and relationships are nurturing you toward deeper connections in your personal and professional life. Fantastic!
One day you decide to go for a walk. Boom! Out of no place you’re stricken with a debilitating chronic illness. After a life time of being a fit athlete, you can barely move because of horrible joint pain, and flu like symptoms, that don’t go away. You don’t want to leave the house because it’s too much energy to even get dressed. In time, many of your friends stop calling. Some of the friends, that do check in, question your mental state. They tell you that you’re being a “drama queen”, or “oversensitive”.
Now imagine that this goes on for over two years. You did everything right, and you still ended up with a chronic illness. There are so many new physical and mental challenges. Could it all be a bad dream? You never thought anything like this could happen to you.
Psychotherapist Laura Irwin talks about her struggles with Lyme disease, and her courageous journey overcoming chronic illness. She patiently made her way back to health and wholeness. Laura explains the mental impact of chronic disease. Laura became her own health advocate, and her diligent disciplined approach on the road back to a vibrant life is both instructive and inspiring.
About Laura Blair Irwin:
After 20-something years of feeling misplaced in the Midwest, Laura made her way to Boulder, Colorado, hungry for depth, purpose, and spiritual connection. She fumbled her way through new-age fluff; empty yogic promises; and plenty of surface-level, fake-it-till-you-make-it spiritual platitudes from teachers not walking their talk.
But she stayed the course. And eventually… she found it.
A deep and abiding sense of her feminine power. Consistent access to intuition and guidance. Trust in her own voice. Authentic and skillful relationships. And the knowing that she will not shrink or get small for someone else.
“I believe that no matter how far away from yourself you get, you can always come home.” With a few key understandings about how your nervous system is wired, plus some help in listening deeply for the wisdom inside, you’ll unlock a rooted understanding of your behaviors, motivations, and needs that’ll help you guide your life.
What you’ll learn:
- How overcoming chronic illness like Lyme disease can strike anyone at anytime. More facts about Lyme disease.
- What it’s like dealing with a changing identity and noticing your injury was more serious than you suspected.
- How does entering your 40’s (getting older) influence your thoughts and emotions about the world and yourself?
- How Laura came out of despair, and adapted and overcame the hardship of her injuries and unforeseen circumstances?
- What’s working, and what remains a challenge in terms of attitude and health? How do you address your own challenges?
- Laura’s new community: The School of Belonging.
What this podcast is about:
Successfully Using Cannabis to Reduce Inhibitions and Enhance Sexual Pleasure
Does cannabis enhance the sexual experience by reducing inhibitions, and increasing intimate pleasure? Canna-sexual expert, Ashley Manta gives the 411 on this topic. Plus, get some sex tips, and learn about her upcoming workshops in Los Angeles celebrating sexual self acceptance – and weed.
Ashley Manta likes to talk about sex—a lot. It’s not taboo for her. You know what’s else isn’t taboo for her? Cannabis. In fact, this bubbly buxom blonde has become a sought-after authority on mindfully combining sex and cannabis as part of her CannaSexual™ brand. As a professional sex educator, writer, coach, and facilitator, Ashley helps people navigate these topics to make sure they are interacting, loving, and feeling their best in and out of the bedroom. By creating a safe space for people to feel and be heard, Ashley works on softening the restrictive boundaries holding clients back from being their best selves—and doing so in a way that makes people incredibly comfortable.
~From Ashley Manta’s website
What you’ll learn:
- Is Cannabis useful for sex?
- Should people be wary of using Cannabis?
- For what else is Cannabis useful?
- Tips on loving yourself and using cannabis for relaxation and pleasure.
- Working with Ashley and booking her for your own events.
What this podcast is about:
Episode #5: Is your fantasy “weird”? Should you try it anyway?
This episode, we discuss sexual fantasies. Are they weird? Sick? Maybe they’re a personal manifestation, of an authentic sexual identity, waiting to be expressed. Sex Therapist Galen Fous discusses this and more.
The big changes such as, divorce, changing cities, or a relationship that is going cold, that drop into our lives like a dive bomber, can sometimes inspire us to make a change for the better. Sexual desires get distorted and repressed in our society. Something like a divorce can be the inspiration to seek out and explore those hidden desires from the shadows.
Transpersonal Psychologist, Galen Fous
Galen Fous is a Transpersonal Psychologist, sex researcher, a kink sex educator. For the past 17 years, Galen has been helping people express their sexuality in an honest healthy and shame free way. Galen advocates for honesty and transparency in expressing our desires, negotiating consent, and boundaries.
What You’ll Learn:
- What are sexual fantasies, and from where do they come?
- Is my fantasy “weird”?
- What if I’m actually pretty kinky? What next?
- How to introduce your fantasies and kinks to sex partners – new and longstanding.
- Avoiding an erotic mismatch.
- Finding a community, to play in, that supports you, and resources for education.
What this Podcast is about:
Attraction is a question that comes up often for anyone who’s ever been a relationship coach. How to get a woman’s attention after 40, is at the heart of that question for single men over 40. Breakups such as divorce are often unwelcome surprises and can leave a man unprepared for the dating world. Maybe confidence in yourself is on the rocks? Is trust an issue for you? Career, finances, and family obligations are the sacrifices that we make to achieve our goals. Sometimes these obligations stand in the way of romance. Years pass and you get more anxious about your prospects for finding the woman of your dreams, or an awesome sexual partner. The older you get the harder it seems to find a great woman. All the good ones seem to be taken. You’ve got to fix this.
You’re in luck. On today’s podcast, I’ve brought in one of the top relationship and dating coaches for men. Shana James has a rare talent. She explains what women think, feel, and want you to do – and she explains it in ways that make for actionable plans.
“I like to talk about this as an opportunity …to get more real.”
~Coach and facilitator – Shana James
Shana has coached nearly a thousand men and almost as many women, around the world, in the past decade. She has led events for Match.com and Table for Six. Ms. James is a dating consultant for an MTV reality show. Shana is an ally for men. She brings a combination of Western and Eastern wisdom with her Masters in psychology, training in man/woman dynamics, as well as yoga, meditation, tantra and various spiritual practices. She does not teach games or pick up lines, but works specifically with each man in the places he holds back and feels stuck.
With incredible love and compassion for men, vulnerability and willingness to tell the truth, Shana makes it safe for you to work through your biggest fears and deepest shame, so you are free to have passionate, fulfilling connections, relationships and sex with the women you really want.
What you’ll learn:
- How to get a woman’s attention after 40
- Dealing with rejection
- Are we a good match vs. am I good enough for her? (self-respect)
- How to recover from desperation/grasping and start automatically attracting a woman’s attention
- Stop apologizing for yourself
- Inspire yourself
- Understanding your own value
Hawaiian Spiritual adventure with Dolphins and Whales – The right way to approach a dolphin encounter
Go on a Hawaiian Spiritual adventure with Dolphins and Whales. Learn about the right way and the wrong way to approach a dolphin encounter. This week long retreat is for couples and singles.
In the this episode of the show, we’re going to explore taking a Hawaiian spiritual adventure with dolphins and whales. This retreat is designed to inspire, refresh, and recharge yourself, by putting you in close contact with nature, dolphins, sea turtles, whales, and the rugged beauty of Hawaii, putting you back in touch with your own intuition through play. These week long retreats are for singles and couples.
Our Guest: Hannelore
Hannelore, M.S.C., M.S.H.
Is an inspirational Story Teller, Intuitive Entrepreneur, Author, Motivational Speaker, Counselor and Spiritual Life Coach. Hannelore is also the founder of Communing with Dolphins.
- Logistics and physical details, such as, accommodations, what to expect, and when it all takes place.
- Who should attend.
- The deeper experience of communing with Spinner Dolphins, and other sea life.
- The value of play.
- Health Benefits.
- Safety for you and the sea life.
- How to prepare.
- How to sign up for the retreat.
Retreat Photo Albums:
Related Internal Links: